Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Carol is OUT for SD-9

Update: with a hat tip to Mr. Baker at the Flyer:



CAROL CHUMNEY ANNOUNCEMENT

8/20/08
Contact Info-486-6891


As you know, I've been devoted to serving Memphis for over 17 years. I will always be grateful for the public's confidence by electing me 7 times as State Representative and 1 time as City Council member, District 5. It was a true honor and will always mean a lot to me.

I put my 17 year career in public service on the line to run for Mayor of Memphis last year because I believe strongly that we can do better in this city. I stand by that decision.

I'm glad to see several good candidates pulling petitions to run for the soon to be vacant City Council At-Large District who can continue to bring needed reforms to the Council. It's good to have some new faces with new ideas on how to make Memphis better.

I thank the many supporters who have called asking me to run for that position. I've had calls from the press and media, and am making this statement in response to those questions.

After prayerful consideration, I have decided not to run for the vacant City Council seat.

I do love and want to serve the people of Memphis, and very much want to be part of bringing the change we need. When the right opportunity presents itself for public service, I'll be ready to again offer my 17 years of state and local government experience, my platform of positive change, my passion, drive and dedication to making this a world-class city, for consideration by the voters.

In the meantime, I'll continue my 21 year private practice as an attorney, volunteering in the community, and spending time with my family and friends.

No comments: