Friday, December 07, 2007

Cheyenne Johnson for County Assessor

You might be saying, Cracker, isn't it a wee bit early for that?  Not at all; because the Tennessee Presidential Primary has been moved up, so too has the Primary for the two County offices due to be filled in 2008, Assessor and General Sessions Court Clerk.

Rita Clark is retiring after twelve years of service as the best Assessor we have had in this County.  At her side for the last several years as her Chief Administrative Officer, Cheyenne Johnson understands the day-to-day functions as well as the overall operations of the Assessor's office better than any other candidate.  She would continue the improvements in these functions that have taken place under Rita Clark, and we need to support her as she makes this run.

At the moment, I have no idea who may be running against her in the Primary; GOP Chair Bill Giannini is the leading contender for the Republican nomination.

Cheyenne Johnson is my choice to succeed Rita Clark, and I want her to be yours as well.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well then, tell us about her.

Tom Guleff said...

I think this will be a good race, Bill Giannini is a pretty smooth and likable guy. The GOP has done well in county wide races in recent times. This will be a GOTV effort election. I think Las Vegas has Mr Giannini as a slight favorite. No doubt, it will become tougher to win as an ( R ) in future local races.

Steve Steffens said...

Let's remember something here: we could have yet another hotly contested 9th District primary the same day as the County General in August, which would drive up Democratic turnout, thus taking away Giannini's perceived advantage.

Personally, I hope the 9th District is NOT that contested, as Cohen will hopefully have whooped the carpetbagger by then....

Tom Guleff said...

Is Nikki still in the race? What time does her flight arrive into Memphis International Airport?

dwayne said...

Democrats tend to better in the two county races in presidential years. Of course Rita has been winning and we can keep the Assessor if Cheyenne can campaign for it the right way. We can also take the General Sessions Court Clerk from turncoat Chris Turner IF we have a decent candidate, a feat that we have not had for awhile.

Anonymous said...

Gentlemen everytime I hear about an assessors race in Tennessee the first thing that pops into my mind is Byron Looper. I remember coming through my door and flipping the TV on back in '98 and hearing Brad Douglas on WBBJ in Jackson talking about what had happened. I had never really paid any attention to that office until that day.

cranky old fart said...

"We can also take the General Sessions Court Clerk from turncoat Chris Turner IF we have a decent candidate, a feat that we have not had for awhile."

Define "decent candidate".

dwayne said...

Define "decent candidate".

First of all, I am NOT saying "white" if that is on your mind. However, in my humble opinion, I am saying a candidate who can raise the funds and communicate his or her name and a positive message across the county and effectively use any tangible negatives against Turner.

I believe that if the focus of the campaign is only to get the base out and not to work hard to expand that base of support, Chris will retire from the job.

Steve Steffens said...

Dwayne, that's it exactly, and that eliminates Otis Jackson, who doesn't know any other way to campaign.....

Bill Giannini said...

Cracker,
You break my heart. You know i love your blog and since we are both big Buck Owens fans, I thought I would at least get a fair shake, an interview or something. You gotta get past that party thing, man! I was even gonna let you play my Red, White and Blue guitar..

I tell you what.....if I make it out of the primary, I'll treat you to great slice of New York style pizza at my pizza joint in midtown and you can ask me anything you like. We'll invite Tom Guleff and he can referee! Take it easy>>>

Bill Giannini

Tom Guleff said...

I'll buy !

Tom Guleff said...

LWC,

Here is Bill's website http://www.billgiannini.com/