Friday, August 05, 2005

I'm taking a SHORT break, but first..

I've got tickets for tomorrow's Braves-Cardinals game in St. Louis, so I'm off until Sunday. Were any of you surprised at the District 29 outcome? Amazing work by Henri Brooks and Steve Haley in losing efforts, and thanks to the return of the Don himself, Ophelia Ford finds herself a prohibitive favorite in the September 7 general election.

Gary Rowe beat first-timer Omari Faulkner as well as veterans Alonzo Grant and Rome Withers to take the District 87 seat. I have never met this guy, so we'll just have to see how he turns out.

I was late to the SCDP meeting because of a MEMPHIS MUSIC & HERITAGE FESTIVAL meeting, so I missed all the officer elections. Sorry, but..

(the sound of the theme from JAWS gets louder and louder, then..)

GOOD GOD! THAT'S, THAT'S POLAR DONKEY'S MUSIC! HE'S HITTING PEOPLE WITH CHAIRS! LOOK AT THE CARNAGE!

OK, so I've watched too much wrestling in my time. Hell, I'm from Memphis, that's what we do, but you absolutely should read Frank's take on the meeting, it's well-written and very astute.

See you when I get back!

3 comments:

Len said...

By my calculation, you had tickets for the Saturday game. Sorry you had to witness that loss. The Sunday game, on the other hand, was an absolutely uplifting, almost religious, experience, with none other but David Eckistein hitting a walk-off grand slam to win it for the Cards in the bottom o'the ninth.

Now *that* was a game. That made up for having to sit through 2:37 of obnoxious Braves broadcast announcers and idiotic Turner South promo spots (My South? It's not "My South", dammit; I wasn't born here and I'll never be a Southerner!)

Steve Steffens said...

Len,
As soon as I saw the KMOX sign I got goosebumps, knowing that this is the last year of that partnership.

I think the Cardinals are making a HUGE mistake buying 50% of KTRS, which you can't even hear in Belleville at night...

Len said...

Steve,

I can't say for sure how much of a mistake that the Cards are making by dumping KMOX and buying into KTRS, since as a native St. Louisan who grew up listening to Jack Buck and Harry Caray on "the Mighty MOX", there's a big emotional attachment to the Cardinals-KMOX association. I simply can't look at it objectively. The best explanation that I've heard (from Dear Old Dad, who's still holding down the fort back home) is that the Cardinals ownership group is trying to create a midwest version of Steinbrenner's "YES Network" that's been such a moneymaking machine for the Yankees franchise. If that's the case, I'd expect them to buy into a Cable TV operation soon. On the other hand... St. Louis and environs (as a media market) isn't New York and environs (as a media market). I'll be surpised if it works myself, but I've been mistaken before....

DemoBitch,

Nothing would make my ass happier than leaving the South. Unfortunately, there's this "working for a living" crap that makes it simply economically unfeasible. Unless you and the rest of you happy Southerners want to take up a collection to finance my move back to someplace better. I figure a couple million, given my health problems and need for specialized med care (and my uninsurability should I lose my employer provided health care), ought to do nicely.

Let me know where to pick up the check once y'all collect the money.

:-)