Thursday, August 11, 2005

Nikki Tinker for Congress?

A newspaper focused on congress, THE HILL, is reporting that corporate lawyer Nikki Tinker is preparing to run for the 9th District congressional seat that will be vacated by Harold the Younger due to his Senate candidacy.

This comment jumped out at me from the article (Here's the link, but Frank is on the case at polar donkey )

“I understand business, and I understand the social needs of this community,” Tinker said, indicating that she would run as a centrist Democrat, like Ford. “I can bring both sides to the middle.”

The great progressive commentator Jim Hightower once noted that "there's nothing in the middle of the road but dead armadillos". Center of WHAT? Right-wingers aren't going to vote for a Democrat no matter what you say, and this district is PROGRESSIVE.

She is attractive, and affable, two traits that will serve her well in a race for Congress; but if she's going to be a Harold clone, she's going to be in for a rough time.

2 comments:

David Holt said...

Voting for moderate Democrats over far-right Republicans is one thing, but why the heck should a progressive Democratic city elect a so-called "moderate" again. I want someone who will fight for working people, the environment, and tolerance, not kowtow to the DLC and corporations. I don't know anything about Nikki Tinker, but if she's of the DLC mode, then I'm gonna keep looking.

Formerly Considered Moderate said...

A whole lot of spin in that article considering most folks I know never heard of this lady.

I will echo David Holt's comment; any candidate for Dist. 9 is not trying to get support from all of TN, just from the voters in Dist. 9....mostly progressive. I also want someone who can and will fight for progressive issues...and feel good about it. We need a champion, not a fence sitter.