Monday, December 04, 2006

Will the last person leaving the Council chambers please turn the lights off?

First, Rickey Peete and Edmund Ford get nailed in a corruption sting, so they are presumed to be leaving the City Council very soon.

It is not too much to think that any or all of the following Councilpeople have either announced for Mayor or are considering it: Carol Chumney (rabid wolves couldn't keep her out, IMO), Myron Lowery (I'm betting a 50/50 shot now with Peete out), Jack Sammons or Tom Marshall (one but not both), and people keep telling me EC Jones is thinking about it, but I'm not ready to believe that just yet.

Add to that the impending departure of Council Chair Tajuan Stout-Mitchell to the Herenton Administration, and we are looking at a wholesale turnover of the Council next year. Given the record of this Council, this is not a reason to be pessimistic!

The question now becomes this: who will REPLACE each of these Councilpeople?

Other than my sources telling me that Jim Strickland is planning another run at District 5 in the event of a Chumney mayoral candidacy, I haven't heard much.

What have you heard?

4 comments:

Sharon Cobb said...

This is a bit off topic, but my former lawyer (who is in Memphis) told me today that there is going to be around 20 more indictments.

I'm telling ya, you all (Shelby County) have your own "Midnight In The Garden Of Good and Evil" going on.

polar donkey said...

I hope there is 20 more indictments.

But back to the mayor's race. With Cohen winning the congressional seat, no white candidate (outside of Bill Clinton) could be elected mayor.

Brassmask said...

PD,

I posted a sort of reply to your comment regarding a white mayoral candidate's chances at my site.

http://www.brassmask.com/news.php

Michael Roy Hollihan said...

According to my source, Lowery and Jones are almost certainly running.

And to judge by today's antics at the City Council, Peete and Ford ain't going nowhere soon. And will have to be dragged kicking and screaming, if they do. Edmund's "Ford-chutzpah" is breath-taking to behold.

A white candidate has a chance, especially Chumney who has not-insignificant black support. But it takes several black candidates splitting that vote and only one white to capitalise on the other, which doesn't look to be the case this year. It looks like there will be at least two, maybe three whites running. In the likely scenario, Herenton wins again.