Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Quasi-personal stuff, and other things.

Well, I haven't written because how could I top last Saturday, eh? Let's get started.
First, thanks to Bill Dries, who told my story to Drake & Zeke Monday morning, will have to try to find a link to that somewhere.
Next, I have felt like crap for a while now, only to have my doctor figure out that I've had a low-grade infection for a while, she gave me a killer antibiotic and I am getting better quickly. I've gotten to see family in from out of town, and that has perked me up as well.
For all my grumbling about small towns, our beloved Newscoma reminds me yet again that special, wonderful things can happen there. I tend to think that's because she's special and wonderful, but I digress.
Now, to observations. SCC has found a way to make me say something nice about Republicans other than Tom Guleff and Jim Coley with this article on Brian Stephens and his work to make the Election Commission more transparent. Stephens is a solid guy, wish he was over on this side of the aisle.
Ok, Max Baucus, REALLY? We NEED SINGLE-PAYER. What part of that do Senate DEMOCRATS fail to understand? Are they that desperate to suck on the tits of the health insurance industry? If so, we are past the point of MORE Democrats, we are now at the point of needing BETTER Democrats. Are you listening, Blanche? Bill Halter, you should think about a primary challenge. It worked for Dale Bumpers!
Nice article by John Branston on Maxine Smith's decision to support Steve Cohen for re-election against the Mayor, whom she still supports as Mayor. We still love you, Jackson, it's just that the Flyer has a veritable plethora of great reporters. I like the term "veritable plethora", too. Jackson has this interesting piece up about GOP Chair Lang Wiseman trying not to admit that he would like to cross over to vote for Cohen in the Primary.
Statewide, I can't help but think that Mark Brown's departure from the Ward Cammack campaign dooms it to a swift demise. Brown helped Cammack reach out, particularly to the growing lefty blogging community, getting all of us to meet him on a one-to-one basis, where Cammack does well. As a stump speaker, though, he's not all that hot, and he has all the baggage that a convert from the GOP would be expected to have. Without the savvy Brown to run the show, I'm betting he gets out quickly. UPDATE: His ears must have been burning, Cammack denies he's getting out to the Sage of Knoxville, Tom Humphrey.
Will Jim Kyle get in? I understand that lots of people are thinking he won't get in now, but I'm going to be a contrarian here (imagine that) and say he WILL get in. It wouldn't be the first time I whiffed on something (I'm a Cubs fan, after all) but I think the Senate Democratic leader WILL make the run, despite what some have said is an attempt by The Honorable Phil Governor to clear the field for Mike (I'm Ned's Son) McWherter. Mike seems like a nice guy, I met him at the Chism Picnic, but I'm not sure what he brings to the table beyond the name.
Oh yeah. COME TO DRINKING LIBERALLY TONIGHT, DAMMIT! We DO have air-conditioning at RP Billiards at 525 South Highland, along with good food, good drink, and good people. See you tonight!

4 comments:

Newscoma said...

Thank you for the kind words. You are the bomb.

And take of yourself, Mister!

Unknown said...

Solid guy...Ill take it! I should point out that ALL 5 of us, demns and repubs on the commission, are for this. We really should all be working together to build a better community. Brian

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link and the shout-out.
The hardworking behind-the-scenes staff of Drake & Zeke.

Anonymous said...

If you like longer lines, less efficient service and an unaccountable central government hoisting piles of paperwork on you, then you'll love single payer. The reality is and will always be that both private medical insurance and a public system will favor those with money, will be grossly unfair and contribute to sickness rather than health. Some Doctors will still get rich--a la Michael Moore's film--some patients will ask for extra tests and rationing for the rest of us will inevitably occur. I once believed in single-payer not too long ago, but I now am convinced that its promises will fall into the swamp of narcissistic human reality much sooner than later.