Thursday, March 18, 2010

Let this be a warning

As I have experienced much loss in my life this year, it has taught me that it's time to quit screwing around with regard to what I believe in and whom I support.

Right before early vote, I will post as to whom I support in the upcoming County Primary.  Some, of course, are obvious, as you see their blog buttons over on the right-hand side of the blog.  Some may not be, of course.

I want to warn you of something, though, for the August elections: This year, you don't get my support just by having a D next to your name in the County elections.  If some Gooper in a NON-POLICY position is doing a good job or if I think the Democratic nominee can barely walk and chew gum at the same time, I'll endorse the Republican.

Note that I said NON-POLICY position.  I would never do that in a race for Governor, Mayor, or legislative positions (though Mike Carpenter has no Democratic opposition and I just might endorse him anyway).  A clerkship, though?  Hell, those ought to be appointed, anyway.

Understand, I don't give a rat's ass that we might be able to control jobs, I care about how the office is being run, and if it's a situation where the office is functioning as it should be, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Sure, I will be called a racist who won't vote for black Democrats, even though I have only been doing so SINCE 1978, PEOPLE!   There are going to be people upset by this, but I only expect this to happen in one or two races, tops.

So, Democratic candidates, get your shit together.  Tell me how you are going to make the office you seek more efficient than it is, not how you are going to expand it; we cannot afford any empire-builder in office right now.  Times are tough, and all we need is for you to do the damn job RIGHT.

Reginald Milton, whom I will be co-endorsing with Norma Lester for County Commission, says it best:

It's not about having a job.
It's all about DOING the job.

2 comments:

Blinders Off said...

There is nothing wrong with keeping it real Steve. It should always be about public servant doing a good job and their integrity. I said it several years ago, that Democrats and Republicans need to be concern when a Democrat or Republican cast an Independent voter during the general election.

Unknown said...

Steve, I am honored to "share" this endorsement. You have been a champion for the Democratic Party for a very long time. You are a friend and a damn nice guy.

I would like to invite you and your many readers to my next Friendraiser.

Host: Chris & Lurene Kelley
Location: The home of Jerry Goudy and Mark Scott - 1917 Central Ave.
When: Thursday, March 25, 6:00PM to 8:00PM
Phone: 901-270-3303

Reginald Milton
Shelby County Commission
District 2 - Position 3