Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Silky, 1997-2010

She is in the middle of the page, sitting happily on her pillow.

I was there when she was born to her mother (in the foreground), and I was there with her this morning when I had to say goodbye. She had developed pancreatic problems and suffered cerebral edema, and didn't know who I was. When I picked her up from the emergency clinic this morning to take her back to her regular vet, I knew she wasn't coming back.

For those like me, who have no children, our pets become our children, and she was mine, more so than any I have had; Lauren would always note that Missy was always everyone's dog, but Silky was mine, and I loved her.

For a Lab mix, 13 years is a long time, and the vet complimented me on how well I had taken care of her.

This is the first time since my birth that there are no dogs in my family, either with my late parents, or with me. I still have my cats, who have not left me since I came home.

I will be away for a few days, and I did have some things to say about Rebuild Government and Save Shelby County, but that can wait, I need to mourn right now.

6 comments:

Lesley Eats said...

Steve, I'm so sorry.

T. Laurel Sulfate said...

It is a long time, Steve, and your vet was right to commend you...but it's never long enough, is it? I'm so sorry. )-:

Laurel

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Steve. It's so hard to let them go.

Mark Rogers said...

Best wishes for Peace and for happy memories.

Sharon Cobb said...

So sorry, Steve. Our 4 legged children are better humans than most humans--and your loss is not to be minimized.
Please let me know if you need to talk--just call--get my # from MK or PI.

Sending lots of positive energy for a healing for you.
Sharon

theogeo said...

I hate to hear news like this. It's tough to let go, but take comfort in knowing that you gave her a good life.