Wednesday, October 24, 2007

OK, I'm going to jump on the bandwagon here..

Wintermute correctly pointed out that the County Commission, on a party-line vote, screwed up when they voted to allow gifts of over $200 from groups with whom the County does business.

While I am going to be gentler with my Commissioner, Steve Mulroy, than Mute was, I do have to ask all of the Democratic Commissioners this question: What the hell were you thinking? After Tennessee Waltz and Main Street Sweeper and god knows what else may be coming, do you folks not realize that it makes you LOOK like you have your hands out? Have you not learned that this is only going to piss off your constituencies? If you want Tiger basketball tickets that badly, BUY the damned things, I have to and so should you.

The CA weighed in on this today, and it hit the nail on the head (Otis must have written it):

The argument that always seems to be made when gift policies are discussed -- that no gift is going to influence the decisions of an honest public servant -- is as tiresome as it is beside the point.

Local and state government bodies are at a low point in their history in terms of credibility. Any member of the County Commission or any other public body who fails to take a strong stand against the acceptance of gifts creates the impression that he or she has no interest in creating and nurturing an ethical climate that would put political corruption cops out of business.

Exactly. This needs, no, DEMANDS reconsideration, especially because the only people voted for this were Democrats, and, damn it, you should KNOW BETTER.

9 comments:

Tom Guleff said...

Steve, I am glad you are on the wagon. Take care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FNBq1ZuR7g

autoegocrat said...

I think they do realize that this makes them look like they have their hands out. That very well may be the point.

Steve Steffens said...

Tom, My bosses will be sending you a bill for the monitor I just spit all over, that was great.....

Tom Guleff said...

Thank You, Sir. Can I now try to snatch the pebble from your hand?

Signed, Grasshopper

callmeishmael said...

Are we going to extend the same question to Republican Council members? The last time I noticed, they have constituents too. Do those people not deserve proper representation?

Tom Guleff said...

soleftwingcarolinablue, You can check the dates of my posts and you'll see that republicans were on the hot seat also, no party was left off the hook, from the beginning....

callmeishmael said...

Tom Guleff: my good friend the Cracker's comments specifically about Democrats--of which I am one--is what spurred my question. Like you and the Cracker, I want government to represent all of us, not simply those with whom we agree. Hope that clarifies matters--

Steve Steffens said...

One, LWCB, The Goopers voted AGAINST this monstrosity; I suspect, because Tom here held their feet to the fire.

I am doing the same thing for the Democrats, which is my RIGHT to do.

callmeishmael said...

Of course, LWC, it's your right--or, as it were, "left"--to hold the Democrat's feet to the fire. That's not the point in my question. If the Republicans voted against "this monstrosity," then good for them and good for Tom in raising the issue. Good government is good government and, to me, it makes no difference which party brings it to those who need it.