Thursday, September 11, 2008

Newscoma drills it home

Our beloved Newscoma, who understands rural issues better than anyone I know (and probably better than anyone YOU know, unless you live in a rural area) sends a letter to the Tennessee Democratic Party reminding them that there is a world beyond Davidson County:

You missed a huge opportunity. Rural communities want to be involved. Engage them and pay attention.

Several years ago, I went to several meetings at the local party and was one of those young voters who felt left out. I wanted inspiring conversations, events to feel excited about. As I recall, I went to one meeting with now Sen. Lowe Finney. I can’t speak for him but I can say that I didn’t get my needs met. After a while, I gave up.

This is the county that has Ned McWherter and his legacy. But there are other counties just like mine that need leadership from the state office. I set up a website for these young voters yesterday. Have you not sent out instructions to rural communities who need your guidance about online networking, talking points and utilizing social communication sites like Twitter or Friendfeed? I’m just asking because I know I haven’t seen them but you might have. Are you talking to established rural party leadership about how to recruit young people.

Gray, we had 4.4 percent of our registered voters vote here in August.

Damn, she's good; but you knew that any way, didn't you!

1 comment:

Newscoma said...

Thank you for the kind endorsement. I with the insiders would pay attention to the people that really want to be engaged.