Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Sydney Pollack 1934-2008

As the lovely Lauren will tell you, it's hard to get me to sit down to watch a movie all the way through because I keep wanting to check the other channels; I call it Adult Onset ADD.

As a result, there are very few movies that I REALLY like, and usually the DIRECTOR, not so much the actor, that determines if I will watch the film. One of my favorites, Sydney Pollack, has left us way too soon, as a result of cancer, at the age of 73.

He was a noted producer, a terrific director that had stars eating out of his hand, and an under-rated actor. His most notable role was as Dustin Hoffman's agent in Tootsie, IMO, his finest work either behind or in front of the camera.

As all American cultural Icons must, Pollack had a Memphis connection, having directed Tom Cruise in THE FIRM, adding his deft touch to the John Grisham blockbuster.

Here are other remembrances:

Brassmask

Group News Blog

Jane Hamsher/FireDogLake

Times of London

New York Times

Roger Ebert/Chicago Sun-Times

No comments: