Who's your choice for Mayor in 2015?

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

This hits home with me.

Thursday, April 9, is an important date for many reasons to me. It will be the 21st anniversary of officially becoming a Buddhist, it will be, I believe, the 100th anniversary of my late paternal grandmother's birth, and it would have been my mother's 80th birthday.

My father didn't care for spectator sports; he went to Wrigley Field as a boy and was supremely bored, which infuriated me, as I didn't get to visit until my late 20s. My mom, along with her parents, turned me into the maniacal sports fan I am today. She could hold a grudge, too; she never forgave the Cardinals for trading Ken Boyer to the Mets after the 1965 season, only a year after his MVP season of 1964. We argued sports, and she loved all of them, as a devout Laker fan (until they got Kareem; if she were alive when Jerry West was with the Griz, she would have asked him why he acquired him) and as a Reds fan (Johnny Bench and Pete Rose were her guys), and interestingly enough, she was a Packer fan. Well, she wasn't perfect.

All of which leads me to this beautiful obituary Keith Olbermann wrote for his mother, Marie, who passed away recently. I urge you to go read it, it's a loving tribute without being maudlin in the slightest.

Rest In Peace, Mrs. Olbermann.

1 comment:

Sharon Cobb said...

That was a beautiful story, and more importantly, a well lived, fun life.

Tying in with the anniversary of you becoming a Buddhist, I bet she gets to come back as a Yankee! (I also believe in reincarnation)