Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Johnny 200?-2007


I knew he was FIV+, so I had to know this would happen, but it's never good when it does.  

Our cat Johnny, who adopted me and the puppies two years ago, left us this afternoon after a short illness due to liver problems.  He had been a stray who had befriended Missy (my black cocker) when we lived in the East Buntyn neighborhood, although he had scratched the hell out of Silky (my Lab mix) once while I was out of town.

Yet, we got along famously when Johnny decided to move in with us, and until the last month or so, when he kept trying to go outside, which I should have seen for what it was.

Cats have this remarkable idea that when it's their time, they go off somewhere to die so they won't be a burden to their people.  It's rather thoughtful of them, but I decided when Johnny stopped eating over the weekend that I could try to save him.  Despite a trip to the vet and lots of medication, he went quietly this afternoon.  Burial will take place this weekend on my friend's property in Alabama.

It goes without saying that he will be missed.

8 comments:

Newscoma said...

Thinking of you and Johnny.
Rest in Peace, feline friend.

Sharon Cobb said...

Dogs and cats are the best people I know.

I am so sorry for your loss.

callmeishmael said...

I'll miss him greatly. He was a wonderful cat and lots of fun in his eccentric "I'm the King" approach to people, dogs and other assorted creatures. Let yourself grieve--

Steve Steffens said...

Many thanks to all of you for your thoughts, this has not been the best of days...

Anonymous said...

LWC I know how you feel. Except Ive never had one to die because of health reasons. All of my dogs and cats have either disappeared or been murdered. I guess that comes with the territory when you live where I do.

Kristina and Ingo said...

I am so very sorry for your loss.

theogeo said...

So sorry for your loss.

Desi Franklin said...

Having had several wonderful cats, including the very best, Mr. Sammy Davis Jr. Neill, who loved canteloupe and once followed me from the corner of Oliver and Tanglewood to the corner of Central and Cooper, forcing me to take him home and actually call my law professor and say, I missed class because I had to take my cat home from the bus stop, I just want to send you my condolences, LWC.

Johnny, requiscat in pace.