Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Let's talk about something else for a minute.

Since I need to get my mind off the events of the day, let's discuss the fact there will be a meeting Wednesday night in the strip shopping center that replaced Cherokee Lanes to get people behind the Draft AC movement.

Kudos to Richard Thompson for his take at Mediaverse; read the comments as well.

Here's the question that no one has asked: What happens if Wharton DOES run, and wins? Does either the City or County Charter expressly prohibit him from holding both offices simultaneously, creating de facto consolidation? I really do not know the answer to that question, and I would like to know.

Now, to the men involved. Reverend Bill Adkins was fiercely behind Mayor Herenton during his first election in 1991, and until today, I had no idea that he was ready to toss Hizzoner out in the street. Reverend LaSimba Gray has been all over the lot, and I was not thrilled that he went after Congressman Cohen in last year's Democratic Primary based on the idea that only an African-American could represent the 9th district. Still, until today, I thought he would support Mayor Herenton as he had before.

However, I was asked to send out the notice for the meeting (as I do out of courtesy, even though I am still strongly for Chumney) and on the request it was noted that David Cocke had requested this.

David is a terrific person who did a great job, TWICE, as Democratic chairman, and he worked for Wharton, IIRC, in both of the County Mayor races. He is tough, but he is cautious, and I happen to believe that he would not do this publicly without AC's blessing.

Hell, I could be wrong; after all, I have been a Cub fan for 41 years now. However, David's participation in all of this makes me think that AC Wharton will be a candidate for mayor of Memphis.

If that happens, my friends, EVERYTHING changes, just as it did 5 years ago when he jumped in the Democratic Primary for County Mayor.

What it means, we'll all figure out one week from Thursday when the filing deadline arrives at noon. Grab some popcorn, it will be fun to watch!
UPDATE: Smart City to the rescue!
LWC: It has always been the Shelby County Attorney's Office's opinion that the county mayor cannot serve in any other office, because it is forbidden by charter because it is considered a fulltime job. That has been the conclusion since the late 1970s so presumably nothing has changed.

3 comments:

Smart City Consulting said...

LWC: It has always been the Shelby County Attorney's Office's opinion that the county mayor cannot serve in any other office, because it is forbidden by charter because it is considered a fulltime job. That has been the conclusion since the late 1970s so presumably nothing has changed.

Steve Steffens said...

Thank you, SCC, I thought you would know, so that's one prblem down, a few to go..

callmeishmael said...

Are you all right? What events are you not mentioning? Johnny? A person sick? I'm here if you need me--