Sunday, October 15, 2006

I-N-D-I-A-N-S means Vic-To-Ry!


Photo courtesy ASUIndians.com

I have rooted for Arkansas State University since 1968, when as a 9-year-old Cub Scout from Weiner, Arkansas, I attended the ASU-SE Louisiana football game at old Kays Field in Jonesboro, seeing future NFL star Bill Bergey play linebacker for A-State. I have been an A-State fan ever since.

I am also a Tiger season ticket-holder, so with mixed emotions, I went to the ASU-Memphis game Saturday at the Liberty Bowl. I saw the Indians dominate the first half, let Memphis back in the game in the second half, but then the impossible occcurred when freshman ASU QB Corey Leonard calmly rolled to his left, hurled a 56-yard bomb to the end zone, and watched as ASU WR Patrick Higgins leapt over the Tiger defenders and caught the winning touchdown as time expired.

I was stunned, as everyone else was, waited for the review which upheld the TD, waited about ten minutes to leave as I stared at the scoreboard, and then finally burst into hysterical laughter. It was the first A-State win over the Tigers in 17 years (I was at that one, too) and I couldn't believe it.

As someone who will be back at the Liberty Bowl next Saturday night to root the Tigers on against defending C-USA champion Tulsa, I felt horrible for them, but for now, I will celebrate.

No comments: