Monday, January 24, 2005

The SCDP follies, part 312

Yes, we are rapidly approaching the time when the Shelby County Democratic Party begins its biennial reorganization, and the bloodbath has already begun to take shape.

At the request of SCDP Chair Rep. (and would-be State Senator) Kathryn Bowers, TDP Committeeman David Upton presented a letter asking the TDP to allow Shelby County to reorganize on July 16 and 23, rather than in April, as the rest of the state does. Given that A) Big Shelby used to organize in OCTOBER and B) the rest of the state doesn't really like us anyway and could care less, it should have been a slam-dunk.

OOPS.

TDP Secretary (and former SCDP Chair) Gale Jones Carson protested the move; during her term, she had sought to align the SCDP more closely with the state party in reorganizations and bylaws (FULL DISCLOSURE - I DID vote for these changes while on the SCDP Executive Committee at this time). Her objection was that the SCDP ExecCom had not discussed this, while Upton said that they had in January, albeit briefly. The TDP decided, that sure, as long as the ExecCom votes for it in February, go ahead, (thinking PLEASE JUST SETTLE THIS AND LEAVE US ALONE!!!!).

I learned of this fron a Jackson Baker column in the Flyer and sent an email to my list bashing all sides and asking everyone to just quit bitching. I received a reply or two taking me to task for not blasting the "other side".

I voted for people in my district in 2003 who I knew would vote for Kathryn over Gale, and I had my reasons, which I expressed to both of them. I like Gale; she has a good heart, but after we put all of our eggs in one basket trying to elect a Democratic slate of county officials in 2002, leaving nothing for the fall elections, I decided to vote against her in the district elections. I would not change that vote today.

The fact remains, though, that every time we bash each other in public, it HURTS the party. You're not happy with the way things are being run, ORGANIZE. If you win, CELEBRATE! If you lose, just SHUT UP and support the party publicly, like I did after Howard Dean was savaged in New Hampshire.

I like everybody in the Democratic Party here; until we stop fighting, we only help the Republicans.

Flame on!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You need to add a link to the Shelby County Democratic Party's website. Thanks,Jody