Friday, November 09, 2007

Congrats to Bill Morrison, condolences to Brian Stephens

Well, it's Friday and the leg is still attached, so that's a good thing, I guess.

Bill Morrison was elected as Councilor of District 1 on Thursday night, joining former County Assessor Bill Boyd (2), Harold Collins (3) and Edmund Ford, Jr (6) as newbies on the upcoming City Council. As we supported him throughout, there is glee and delight here, not only because of the victory but because of the size of it, nearly 2-1.

Props to WTL, who worked his butt off over there to put the most progressive person available on the new Council.

As for Stephens, well.....

Apparently a robo-call from former city Mayor Dick Hackett (ask me about my Hackett t-shirt some day) and former County Mayor Bill Morris turned the tide for the aging Boyd in this most Republican of districts. My hope is that Brian stays active and is not discouraged by this setback.

As for 3 and 6, I knew little about either Harold Collins or Ike Griffith; when Coleman Thompson lost, I chided them for their poor judgement and went on about my business. Ed Ford, Jr, from what I have heard, is not at all like his indicted father and will do a fine job at City Hall; hell, he's working on a Ph.D! Of course, from the haters commenting on the CA article, one would think he's been standing at 3rd & Mitchell with a sign that reads VOTES 4 SALE! Give the young man a chance, for crissakes, he's going to be fine. You think HE'S not aware of what he's up against?

OK, rant over.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the kind words. Don't worry about my desire to keep making Memphis a great place to live. Throughout this campaign my focus has always been on making a better Memphis....that won't change because of a particular job. In fact, I love the people I met and this has been a great experiece.

Go Bill go go. Bill might be one of the smartest guys I have ever met. I am sure the new council will do a great job.

thanks
Brian Stephens