Friday, December 12, 2008

Congressman Cohen elected Regional Whip

From his Press Office:

CONGRESSMAN COHEN ELECTED REGIONAL WHIP

Washington, DC – Yesterday, Congressman Steve Cohen (TN-09) was elected by his colleagues in the Democratic Caucus of the U.S. House of Representatives to serve as a Regional Whip during the 111th Congress. Elected by acclamation, Congressman Cohen will serve in a leadership position in just his second term as the Representative from Tennessee’s 9th District.

“I’m honored that my colleagues in the House have selected me for this leadership position in just my second term,” said Congressman Cohen. “I appreciate the opportunity to work with Congressman [James] Clyburn (SC-06) (the Majority Whip) to enact the agenda of our Congressional leaders and that of the new Presidential Administration. President-elect Obama and the Democrats ran on an ambitious platform for change in the fall, and I look forward to working with House Leadership and the Obama Administration to address the challenges America is now facing, including the economy, jobs, health care, energy, and bringing our troops home from Iraq. I thank my colleagues in the Caucus for entrusting me with this responsibility, and I look forward to serving as a Regional Whip.

At the call of the Majority Whip, Congressman Cohen will count votes for upcoming legislation from other members within a geographical boundary in his capacity as Regional Whip. Congressman Cohen will represent Region VII, a territory which includes Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana, North Carolina and South Carolina. Congressman Cohen will be responsible for relaying concerns and questions about legislation from his Members to the Majority Whip, Speaker Nancy Pelosi and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer. Additionally, as a Regional Whip, Congressman Cohen will frequently be asked to participate in floor discussions of bills. He is one of 12 Regional Whips.

Congressman Clyburn remarked, “I’m pleased to have Congressman Cohen join my whip team for the 111th Congress. Congressman Cohen will play a key role in helping me bring members from the southern region together to support legislation that will create jobs, strengthen our economy and establish our energy independence. With his help we can bring lawmakers together and move the country in a new direction.”

Well, we have to honor this the only way we know how, which says more about this blog than our Congressman:




Yeah, I know, but I couldn't resist! :-)