Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Message From Wade Munday

Wade, for those who may not know, is the former communications director for the TNDP, and now seeks its Chair.  While I have no vote, I urge those who do to support him.  His message:


Dear Executive Committee members,
Despite the hope of a New Year, our party faces many challenges.  I am writing to ask for your presence and your vote at the next meeting of the Tennessee Democratic Party Executive Committee on January 8th in Nashville.  In our search for unity and a new party chair; however, let us not forget the unprecedented economic hardships our neighbors are going through each day. The Democratic Party reflects the values of Tennesseans concerned about longstanding job creation.  Our immediate priority is to work together for our neighbors struggling through these hard times.
When Republicans begin to govern, it is imperative that we communicate more effectively.  Eight years of a Republican presidency wreaked havoc on our economy and environment.  People suffered. There is no reason to believe that four or eight years of the same governance in Tennessee would be any different.  And on behalf of concerned Tennesseans of a younger generation, we will not be silent about a Republican Party that governs without regard for individuals and their families. 
MESSAGE
My plan to lead our party into a new era starts as we develop our message and build a robust communications infrastructure. In the process of getting that message to every corner of the state, we will engage future candidates at every level of government; candidates concerned about improving their communities.  We will equip them to the best of our ability with media training, policy and research briefings, and by maintaining close contact with them throughout the election cycle.  As your chair, I will be on your side in the messaging battle.  We will present a unified voice to the people of Tennessee.
ORGANIZATION
Your state party will be managed efficiently, utilizing the strengths of our volunteer-led groups and individuals.  My first goal is to eliminate wasteful spending and to trim excess, beginning with the salary of the chair.  I will propose that the roles of the chair and the executive director be combined for a probationary period.  I will propose new uses for updated technology and social networking tools.  Ironically, our current investments in technology have been more expensive to implement and manage because of a lack of understanding about their functions.  As a former director of a non-profit organization, I know how to manage an organization and its resources.  I have successfully raised capital and led a large team of staff and volunteers.  I propose we rethink our organizational structure at this critical time.

LEADERSHIP
I will lead in such a way that the next party chair in 2012 will inherit a clear message for voters, an efficient organization, and a unified.  The Tennessee Democratic Party is not dependent upon one individual to implement a two or a four-year plan.  Thinking in those terms already limits us to the capabilities of an imperfect person.  Thinking in those terms also limits us to only two or four year plans. Together, as we strive for more perfect unity, we can become a force more powerful in our state. 

I have lived through the experiences that have made Tennessee a much different place than it was fifty years ago.  Through those experiences I have understood rural and urban voters.  I studied ministry at Vanderbilt Divinity School, and I respect the freedom of religion as much as those who choose not to practice any religion.  I grew up the son of a postal worker in Middle Tennessee, but I have mediated arguments between executive board members.  I have the leadership qualities that can bring us together at this point in time.  I respect the term of service that the current chair has offered to us, but he is incapable of uniting our party.  Integrity begins when we admit what we cannot do.  Courage is when we develop a plan to overcome our long odds.  Right now we must concentrate on these things first: establish our message as the minority party in Tennessee, build up our Democratic organization, and elect a unifying leader.  The least we can do is to leave Tennessee better than when we found it.  I plan to take my stand as someone willing to do that now, and to build up the future of our party.

I look forward to seeing you on January 8th in Nashville; and following that, I anticipate being in your districts immediately.  Have a happy New Year.
Respectfully submitted,

Wade Munday

No comments: