Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I'm so glad this day is over

So far this month we've lost Lauren, Poppa Willie Mitchell, tens of thousands have died in the horrific earthquake in Haiti, and today was no better.

First, the stunning news of the death of Jay Reatard hit this afternoon, blowing out GonerRecords' server in the process, as they were the initial source of the news. He was just this side of 30, so SO much promise unfulfilled.

Then, tonight, after returning home from DL, I was hit with the news that one of the greatest soul singers NOT from Memphis to have ever sung, Teddy Pendergrass, had died in suburban Philadelphia after surgery to fight colon cancer. He was only 59, but he was one the dominant voices of the 1970s, first with Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes and then on his own.

Damn damn damn, all too young. Hell, I hope we make it to February, I'm not so sure at this rate.

1 comment:

Sharon Cobb said...

It's a definite reminder of how short life is, and how we need to be kind while we're here, and make right when we have wronged others so our karma is intact.

I wrote about Pendergrass during the night when it happened.

Just so you'll know what I'm posting tomorrow, Clooney is doing a benefit on MTV on Jan 22.

People care when it counts. I think people need to realize they always need to care, though, because it always counts.

I have something for you I'm going to give Mike if I actually see him.
He's usually pretty tired when he's up here, but I am going to try to get with him asap.