Friday, March 31, 2006

Imagine getting THIS in the mail!

Let's just say, and why not, that you are a Democratic voter of long-standing, and you live in Commission district 2 or 3. Let's say that you go to your mailbox a day or two prior to the start of early voting, when you get this letter:



Dear (voter),

I am (Walter Bailey or Cleo Kirk), your County Commissioner for these last X years. As you may be aware, a recent Tennessee Supreme Court ruling ruled against me and my fellow Commissioners, and assured that I will no longer be able to serve you past the end of my term on August 31.

This letter is to extend my deepest thanks to you for your trust and support, as it has been my deep honor privilege to represent you. I also want to ask for your help one last time.

You may not be aware of this, but due to a legal requirement, my name will still be on the ballot when you go to the polls. Believe it or not, I could conceivably win the election, even though I could no longer legally serve you on the Commission. In that event, the Shelby County Democratic Executive Committee would choose the nominee to represent you in the August general election.

My friends, I ask for your vote this one last time because of my deep concern that my opponent(s) will not provide you with the high level of service that you have come to expect, and I believe sincerely that their stands on the issues are not in your best interest.

I have worked with most of the Executive Committee, and I trust them to make the right decision to select the best possible nominee. I believe it's the right thing to do.

So, for the final time, I ask for your vote for (Walter Bailey or Cleo Kirk) on May 4, and I thank you again for your support and friendship.

Sincerely,

(Walter Bailey or Cleo Kirk)

OK, then.

1 comment:

polar donkey said...

I hope Bailey and Kirk send a letter just like this.