Saturday, March 25, 2006

It's becoming THE area for affordable restaurants

Where? Cooper-Young, of course. It's not enough that the the best all around BBQ joint ON EARTH, Central BBQ, is located there on its northern border of Central Avenue. It's not enough that the best plate lunch restaurant, Buns On The Run, is open for lunch Tuesday-Friday (breakfast only on Saturday).

Now, a place has opened up at 862 South Cooper called Soul Fish Cafe. A) the catfish is the best I've had in the area, even including (gasp) the Olive Branch Catfish Company. B) they have far more than just catfish, C) they're open 11-10 Monday-Saturday and 11-9 on Sunday and D) no live music!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE live music, just not while I'm eating and/or trying to carry on a conversation. However, I hate that I can only hit the Young Avenue Deli on Monday nights, when I can be sure there are no bands.

Back to Soul Fish, the hushpuppies are made with peppers (but not too spicy), corn, salt, cornmeal, and they are ight, fluffy and delicious. It is worth your time, and the best part is the highest price that I remember seeing for any entree is $8.95 USD. Yep.

Go there. NOW.

No comments: